[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - November 2011

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 22 16:55:22 EST 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 4:24 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Hi John,
>
> I know people in Asia are anxious to get started, and 9-12 months is a long time.
> Have you consulted with your counterpart in APNIC when coming to your estimate?
>
> If a decision is made to manually synchronize any changes for some period of time, do you have any idea on how much that might shorten the timeframe?
>
> Is there anything a potential buyer, seller, or facilitator could do to expedite the process?
>
> Thanks for anything you can share.

Mike -

There are times when ARIN will start development of a draft policy before
formal adoption if it is making obvious progress, and given the interest
in Inter-RIR transfers and recommendation of the ARIN AC, I believe that
starting development on 2011-1 implementation is now prudent. We have not
taken on any implementation planning prior to this point as we already
quite a full plate.

I will be recommending to the Board that we proceed with implementation
planning, even in advance of their formal policy adoption.  The Board
may adopt 2011-1 (and direct ARIN to begin implementation) or decide
that additional policy work is needed but still direct ARIN to begin
implementation.  Due to the strong spirit of community for policy in
this area, and given the amount of work ARIN needs to do, it is still
reasonable that start the implementation planning work asap.  Clearly,
processing inter-RIR transfers requests can't happen the Board has
adopted the final policy in any case.

We will need a month or two to see if a interim manual implementation
makes sense and will report back when we have some better insight into
the challenges involved.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran