[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - November 2011

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 22 16:15:17 EST 2011

On Nov 22, 2011, at 3:13 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Thanks for the updates and the deliberations.
> Can you provide or clarify the statement from the CEO that there are technical details to support this policy that will take the better part of a year to implement?
>
> I'm sorry if I missed it, but does this imply that there will be a year between adoption and the first Inter-RIR transfer?

Mike -

Per the most recent staff assessmentment of 2011-1 -
<http://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/2011-November/023670.html>

  "3.  Resource Impact

   This policy would have major  resource impact from an implementation
   aspect.  It is estimated that implementation would occur within 9-12
   months after ratification by the ARIN Board of Trustees. The following
   would be needed in order to implement:

   -Careful coordination between the RIRs on DNS issues and updates
   -Updated guidelines
   -Staff training"

In short, there are significant issues in inter-RIR coordination which
makes the implementation very challenging.  For example, the reverse DNS
services for a transferred block may still be served by the original RIR
even after transfer.  As many of us have automated systems for managing
registry changes, it is not clear whether cross-system automation will
be practical for InterRIR transfers, and these types of issues need to
be discussed between RIRs before the planning for the necessary changes
can be accomplished or a decision is made to manually synchronize any
changes for some period of time.

FYI,
/John