[arin-ppml] Version 1.1 (grammatical cleanup and clarification) of Proposal 158 (Clarify Multiple Discrete Networks IPv4 Policy)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Nov 10 15:10:47 EST 2011

Below is an update to Proposal 158. The changes are very minor (corrected some
typos) and do not change the meaning or intent at all.

I included the full text of the resulting policy for clarity and to make it easy to
consider.

Lines which are quoted are lines which are unmodified from the original proposal.

> Template: ARIN-POLICY-PROPOSAL-TEMPLATE-2.0
>
>  1. Policy Proposal Name: Clarify Multiple Discreet Networks Policy
>  2. Proposal Originator
>        1. name: Owen DeLong
>        2. e-mail: owen at delong.com
>        3. telephone: 408-890-7992
>        4. organization: Hurricane Electric
 3. Proposal Version: 1.1
>  4. Date: 3 October, 2011
>  5. Proposal type: modify
>  6. Policy term: permanent
>  7. Policy statement:
>
> Modify section 4.5 of the NRPM as follows:
>
> Replace 4.5.2 with: The organization must have a compelling need to create discrete networks.

Insert new 4.5.3: Discrete networks are separate networks which cannot usefully share a common routing policy.
> Examples might include networks with any of the following characteristics:
>
> Move 4.5.2 a, b, and c into new 4.5.3.
>
> Renumber existing 4.5.3 et. seq. to accommodate new 4.5.3 (4.5.3->4.5.4, etc.).

The resulting section 4.5 would read:

4.5. Multiple Discrete Networks

Organizations with multiple discrete networks desiring to request new or additional address space under a single Organization ID must meet the following criteria:

4.5.1 The organization shall be a single entity and not a consortium of smaller independent entities.
4.5.2 The organization must have a compelling need to create discrete networks.
4.5.3 Discrete networks are separate networks which cannot usefully share a common routing policy. Examples might include networks with any of the following characteristics:
 a. Regulatory restrictions for data transmission,
 b. Geographic distance and diversity between networks,
 c. Autonomous multihomed discrete networks.
4.5.4 The organization must keep detailed records on how it has allocated space to each location, including the date of each allocation.
4.5.5 When applying for additional internet address registrations from ARIN, the organization must demonstrate utilization greater than 50% of both the last block allocated and the aggregate sum of all blocks allocated from ARIN to that organization. If an organization is unable to satisfy this 50% minimum utilization criteria, the organization may alternatively qualify for additional internet address registrations by having all unallocated blocks of addresses smaller than ARIN's current minimum allocation size.
4.5.6 The organization may not allocate additional address space to a location until each of that location's address blocks are 80% utilized.
4.5.7 The organization should notify ARIN at the time of the request their desire to apply this policy to their account.