[arin-ppml] What do you think of 2011-1 (now in Last Call)?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Nov 9 10:42:35 EST 2011

On Nov 9, 2011, at 10:31 AM, William Herrin wrote:
> There are too many open questions about how 2011-1 would work, some
> which have been asked, some which the accelerated time line hasn't
> given us time to think of. I won't rehash the whole argument but I'll
> offer one example:
>
> Per ARIN President John Curran, APNIC policy 096
> (http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-096/prop-096-v001.txt)
> causes ARIN to find APNIC policy "compatible" under draft 2011-1.
> However, 096 says: "It is the NIR's choice as to whether to adopt this
> policy."
> Does the caveat in 096 mean that NIRs in the APNIC region are not
> obligated to allow their registrants to transfer address to an
> ARIN-region registrant even as ARIN is obligated to permit transfers
> to their registrants from ARIN holdings? Without having received an
> authoritative answer from APNIC leadership we can only speculate.
>
> We shouldn't still be speculating about the effect of a draft during
> last call. By now there should be little doubt as to exactly what the
> policy will do. That such questions are still open is a pretty clear
> sign the draft needs more work.

Bill -

Note that a request has been sent to APNIC for clarification on this
point, but that is secondary to the nature of draft policy.  The draft
policy requires that ARIN maintain awareness of the state of policy in
the other RIRs, and when such policy is "compatible, needs-based", we
will allow transfers and when it is not, we won't.

So, if the clarification that returns from APNIC states that NIR policy
will not conflict in this area, then we will allow InterRIR transfers.
If the response says otherwise, or the policy changes to conflict, then
transfers will not be allowed.   I do not believe that it is possible to
know with certainty the full effect of any inter-RIR policy since policy
in other RIRs is subject to asynchronous change.  The best we can do is
establish conditions that are compatible with our policy goals, and then
process accordingly.

FYI,
/John

John Curran