[arin-ppml] What do you think of 2011-1 (now in Last Call)?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Nov 9 10:31:03 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Robert Seastrom <ppml at rs.seastrom.com> wrote:
> We would like to take this up at our call on Wednesday the 16th,
> which is at 1600 EST.  To make sure your voice is heard, please
> respond no later than 1200 EST (0900 PST, 1700 UTC) on
> Wednesday, November 16th 2011.

OPPOSE as written. Would like to see it returned to the AC's docket.

There are too many open questions about how 2011-1 would work, some
which have been asked, some which the accelerated time line hasn't
given us time to think of. I won't rehash the whole argument but I'll
offer one example:

Per ARIN President John Curran, APNIC policy 096
(http://www.apnic.net/policy/proposals/prop-096/prop-096-v001.txt)
causes ARIN to find APNIC policy "compatible" under draft 2011-1.
However, 096 says: "It is the NIR's choice as to whether to adopt this
policy."

ARIN doesn't use National Internet Registries (NIRs). LIRs (ISPs) and
large or multihomed end-users register addresses directly with ARIN.
APNIC prefers to create NIRs, country-level registries, and then have
LIRs and end-users register addresses there instead.

Does the caveat in 096 mean that NIRs in the APNIC region are not
obligated to allow their registrants to transfer address to an
ARIN-region registrant even as ARIN is obligated to permit transfers
to their registrants from ARIN holdings? Without having received an
authoritative answer from APNIC leadership we can only speculate.

We shouldn't still be speculating about the effect of a draft during
last call. By now there should be little doubt as to exactly what the
policy will do. That such questions are still open is a pretty clear
sign the draft needs more work.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004