[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 16:15:51 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM, Bill Darte <BillD at cait.wustl.edu> wrote:
> Bill,

[ clip ]

> My point is that we work hard in the role that we have to respond to the
> needs of the community and to craft policy..in a timely fashion...which the
> community wants.  As such, we reshaped the 2011-1 language to respond to
> what we heard in Philly and in San Juan before.

I think that the minuted portion of the post PPM AC meetings held
directly after the Friday session say differently. In fact, nothing
related to commentary or results of either meeting was discussed.
There was not vote taken on this text in PHL so I'm not sure how
you're able to make the conclusions that you are. .

Let me refresh the discussion:

https://www.arin.net/about_us/ac/ac2011_1014.html

"It was moved by BD, and seconded by SL, that:

"The ARIN Advisory Council, based on comments from stakeholders
expressed either at the ARIN XXVIII Public Policy Meeting, or on the
ARIN Public Policy Mailing List, having reviewed the comments
collected, and noting that the Policy Development Process has been
followed, finds Advisory Council and Community support for Draft
Policy ARIN-2011-1: ARIN Inter-RIR Transfers and moves to it to Last
Call."

The Chair called for discussion.

MH moved to postpone the draft policy indefinitely. CM seconded the motion.

The Chair called for discussion. CG stated it would be better to
discuss the original motion. BS reviewed the poll counts. There was no
count performed for the text as written. SL reviewed the Public Policy
Meeting (PPM) poll questions. "

[ .. ]

"MH noted this was another dramatic change to the text.  He considered
the contentiousness of this discussion to mean that the draft policy
should not go to last call. He noted that AC meetings should not be
used for re-writing text. DF stated that BD had posted the text and
asked for feedback on the calls several months ago.

SL stated that he took the text of 2011-1 and revised it for the
Number Resource Policy Manual (NRPM).  CM noted that the word
“compatible” is in the staff assessment. The President stated that
this text is clearer.

OD noted that the text was removed regarding RIRs having to agree to
the transfer. He noted that there could be other reasons for RIRs not
agreeing, than having a needs-based policy.

SL suggested returning the phrase “agree to the transfer and” to the
text. The Chair called for any objections. There were none.

The Chair pointed out there is time for small revisions during last
call. MH noted that the questions at the PPM were asked in a way to
indicate if the community wanted "an" inter-RIR process or not (as
shown in BD’s slides) and that the text being sent to last call was
not discussed, or presented, at the PPM.   BS agreed.

DF moved to send to the amended text to an extended last call through
16 November 2011. BD seconded the motion.

The Chair called for any objections. MH stated he did not support the
motion, considering that this policy as not ready for last call.

Hearing no further comments, the Chair called for a roll call vote to
send Draft Policy 2011-1, as amended, to an extended last call through
16 November 2011.

The motion carried with 10 in favor, (SL, CA, MC, BD, OD, DF, CG, SH,
CM, JS) and 3 against (MH, BS, HS).

BD volunteered to craft the explanation for the community regarding
amended text, and asked the other AC members for assistance."

Best,

-M<