[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Nov 8 15:19:25 EST 2011

On Nov 8, 2011, at 1:24 PM, William Herrin wrote:

>> The page for Draft Policy 2011-1 <https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2011_1.html>
>> contains links to all prior texts and assessments.
>
> John,
>
> Yes, I'm aware. Is there a particular draft in that list which you
> believe does not suffer from, as the staff evaluation of the 9/22
> version put it, "policy language [that] is unclear, vague, and is wide
> open for interpretation?"

Only the Staff Assessment for the 22 September 2011 version of Draft
Policy 2011-1 found language which was categorized as "unclear, vague,
and is wide open for interpretation."

> I don't ask you to find something in the PDP that isn't there,

Bill - By providing new policy text via petition, you were indeed seeking
a mechanism presently not in Policy Development Process.

> but if the honest answer is, "Sorry, the community has no direct
> recourse for this AC action under the PDP," I'd prefer that you state
> it plainly. That might allow the discussion to move from acknowledging
> that there's a problem to how the problem might be fixed.

If the ARIN AC abandoned or made changes to a draft policy that you
disagree with, then you may petition against that action.  If your
goal is to substitute your own text for the draft policy, that would
be best done by submitting a new policy proposal for consideration.
The AC would consider that new proposal and have the option of moving
forward with it instead of the current 2011-1.  While it is possible
for the AC to abandon your version, you could always petition that
action to insure that your proposal text makes it to the Public Policy
Meeting for community consideration.

FYI,
/John

John Curran