[arin-ppml] Petition draft 2011-1 last call

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Nov 8 14:56:49 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 1:56 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I can assure you that the AC process on 2011-1 has been far from
> ideal and that the AC has struggled and agonized over this policy
> to bring it to its current state. We would all much rather have had
> ideal text to present before the meeting.

Owen,

I offer no criticism for bringing an unready draft to the meeting and
if I've said anything which implies otherwise then I apologize. Quite
the contrary, I've frequently argued that ideas should be brought
forward to the meeting even if perfect policy text hasn't yet been
hammered out. If anything, I congratulate the AC for presenting the
September draft, warts and all.

But, in my opinion, the AC then fumbled the ball. If clean policy
language couldn't be found with minimalist changes the September draft
then it should have gone back on the docket for the more extensive
changes like what Scott came up with. Jumping straight to last call
(while the distraction of your day jobs prevented adequate vetting)
yielded a badly flawed document with the faults which I and others
have pointed out.

> Finally, you have the recourse of voting for AC and/or BoT members
> each year.

No, I don't. Like many merely interested members of the community, I
am not permitted to vote. Only "ARIN members" who have paid for the
privilege may do so.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004