[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-153 Correct erroneous syntax in NRPM 8.3

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue May 31 13:18:09 EDT 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 3:11 AM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
> I think we kind of have to accept that circumstance because it has little
> differentiation from
> when ARIN subdivides address space the same way.

Hi Owen,

If that's the consensus goal then put together some verbiage for 8.3
that hits these five points:

a. Any registrant may offer an entire ARIN IPv4 address block
registration for transfer without restriction.

b. Any registrant may offer part of an ARIN IPv4 address block
registration with a prefix no longer than /24 for transfer. /8 through
/24 allowed, /25 through /32 prohibited.

c. Transfers under 8.3 are only received as fulfillment of an ordinary
section 4 request following all ordinary policies and procedures under
section 4. To the extent that turns out to obstruct reasonable
behavior, we'll fix it in section 4.

d. Any registrant may receive any number of address blocks from (a) as
needed to fulfill their ARIN-approved section 4 request.

e. Any registrant may receive no more than $N discontiguous address
blocks per $UNIT_TIME from (b) as needed to fulfill their approved
section 4 request. So if you buy a partial fill, shop wisely.

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 12:08 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:
> Don't you think that every purchaser will have the same impetus towards
> aggregation (slimmer table)?

I use a set of $1500 Cisco 2811's. The size of the table is not a
major economic concern for my employer. What's more, as a leaf node
I'm able to employ a default route and do some filtering if I need to
prolong the life of my router.

So no, I don't think that every purchaser has the same impetus towards
aggregation. Frank has it right when he says:

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:57 AM, Frank Bulk - iName.com
<frnkblk at iname.com> wrote:
> If we find out that disaggregation is not an issue we can always eliminate
> those policies.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004