[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-153 Correct erroneous syntax in NRPM 8.3

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Fri May 27 18:46:41 EDT 2011

On May 27, 2011, at 10:08 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

>> Also, I have noted in that proposal that the single-aggregate transfer requirement as it would apply with this proposal in effect can be trivially worked around simply by submitting a large number of individual transfers, each of which comes with justification. This just increases the amount of paperwork for both parties *and* ARIN with no other benefit.
>>

> So you have said, however, the reality is that the language in 8.3 was put there by the AC for a reason
> and with an intent which was supported by the consensus of the community.
>
> You prefer to abandon that intent based on the interpretation of the language. I prefer to correct the
> language so that it matches the original intent.

I think experience shows that the current interpretation of the language reduces cost for everyone involved, and that restoring the "original intent" changes absolutely nothing... in other words, transfers of 660,000 addresses from multiple blocks will still occur between a pair of entities, only this time it'll be a whole raft of need justification and transfer request forms instead of just one.

> Subsequent transfers would be the result of subsequent needs, presumably, so, I'm not seeing that
> this is necessarily in conflict.

Sure, "subsequent" in that the next needs justification was submitted 30 seconds after the previous one.

Matthew Kaufman