[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-152 RSA Modification Limits

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Fri May 27 10:48:02 EDT 2011

On 5/27/11 08:31 CDT, ARIN wrote:

> The above requirements may be waived to the extent necessary to meet a
> court order or settlement, but, such court order must be public or such
> settlement must include terms allowing the settlement terms to be
> published by ARIN, including the list of affected addresses and the
> exact resulting RSA. ARIN shall publish the terms of any such settlement
> and the resulting RSA within 10 days of drafting the settlement or RSA
> whichever comes later.

This paragraph has some significant issues.  It is not possible for ARIN
to dictate what information regarding a court order is public
information, that is only in the control of the judge issuing the order.
  If some information regarded a court order were ordered confidential,
ARIN would be in contempt of such a court order if it improperly
disclosed such confidential information, which this policy seems to
require.

ARIN evaluates and protects confidential contract and business
information on behalf of the community all the time, I'm not sure why
this situation should be any different than all the others.  While
transparency is an important objective, I feel this policy goes to far,
and can not support it as written.

The rest of the policy other than this paragraph seems like it could be
a useful policy improvement if it accurately reflects the community's
intent.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952