[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Thu May 19 20:51:15 EDT 2011

On 5/19/2011 5:42 PM, Brett Frankenberger wrote:

> In this post, I'm taking no position on the merits of transfers w/o
> needs justification, just pointing out that the /12 limitation is
> trivial to get around and is effectively a no-op.

The whole needs justification to avoid speculation is effectively a
no-op too.

Speculators can just:
1) Buy controlling stakes in existing entities that are inefficiently
using addresses today and NOT make their use more efficient unless/until
they find a buyer for space at the price they want, or
2) Buy the exclusive option to trade an organization's IP address space
at today's price, then charge the future price to the buyer, take the
difference, and execute the transfer between the first org and the
second org, never transferring the space to the speculator.

ISPs that want to corner the market through hoarding can just do #1
trivially OR convince people to sell space to them in exchange for a
transit arrangement such that the need is justified by the transit
contract itself.

Matthew Kaufman