[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Brett Frankenberger rbf+arin-ppml at panix.com
Thu May 19 20:42:57 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 05:49:43PM -0400, Mike Burns wrote:
> Blake,
>
> My proposal includes a limit of /12 of needs-free transfers
> specifically to prevent hoarding and market cornering. (It's a recent
> addition.)

I assumed it was speciifcally to create business for lawyers
specializing in creating legal entities to hold address space, since
someone wanting to hoard a /8 would, under your policy, need 16
different legal entities.

If we assume there are going to be serious speculators involved if the
needs requirement is eliminated, we would also reasonably have to
assume they won't be deterred by a requirement to create a stack of
entities under their control in practice, but nominally sufficiently
distinct to prevent their holdings from being aggregated for the
purposes of the /12 rule.

In this post, I'm taking no position on the merits of transfers w/o
needs justification, just pointing out that the /12 limitation is
trivial to get around and is effectively a no-op.

     -- Brett