[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Blake Dunlap ikiris at gmail.com
Thu May 19 17:44:52 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 16:35, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

> I never claimed that Geoff Huston, whom I  have never met, did not have a
> preference for market-based solutions, only that he did not view the danger
> of disaggregation as a reason to have needs requirements for transfers.
> Unless you are implying that his preference for market-based solutions has
> somehow overridden his BGP expertise, my point stands.
>

> Mike

Just want to make sure to clear this up, my basis for not wanting to remove
needs requirement has nothing to do with deaggregation. Honestly I see
deaggregation looming regardless of this proposal. The reason I strongly
believe needs should remain is to make sure all IPs go to someone who will
actually use them, instead of hoarding.

If you go back and reread my proposal as an alternative to this, you'll see
that I am not opposed to opening up and facilitating transfers, even to
giving legacy holders free reign for selling their extra space, but I don't
see any use for allowing the market to be completely cornered by players or
IPs to be hoarded. They are still a very limited resource until an actual
mass migration to IPv6 occurs, and we need to act accordingly.

Needs basis in all its forms is not to protect the routing table, it is to
protect the availability to the largest amount of players.

-Blake