[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Paul Vixie vixie at isc.org
Sat May 14 00:11:41 EDT 2011

mike at nationwideinc.com ("Mike Burns") writes:

> From the article:
>
> "ICANN requires registrars to enforce the accuracy of their customers'
> Whois records, and the leading registrars are often quite strict about
> complying with this rule."
>
> So if ICANN already requires this and fails to police it, why do you
> assume that ICANN would police their own records if private registrars
> did not exist?

i make no claim nor ever meant to imply that icann should take action with
respect to number resource whois.  i was answering your statement that the
dns private market is working.  my assertion is that the dns private market
as it is currently does not disincentivise sociopathic behaviour.  at scale
(and with a lot of money at stake) such behaviour becomes the norm unless
opposed by some regime or force.  for examples, the tradeoff between accurate
whois and making a lot of money, or the tradeoff between conserving routing
table slots and making a lot of money, are decisions that the whole community
or their representatives would make differently than would most individuals.

the short version is, i don't think the private dns market is your best or
most shining example of what to hope for from a private numbering resource
market.  i don't think Garda Sichana's Michael Moran would think so either
(referring to the "theregister" URL included below for reference.)

re:

--
Paul Vixie
KI6YSY