[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-150 Reclamation Hold

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri May 13 13:56:10 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 13:49, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
> ARIN-prop-150 Reclamation Hold

I oppose the policy as written.

I believe that the process for reclamation (or revocation)
is sufficiently long (and I would bet onerous) through
the ARIN internal processes this substantial increase
of hold period after the actual reclaim is not warranted
(there is already a hold).

I can agree that there will always be a slight risk that
a legitimate holder will appear after some extended
period, and the space has been reassigned (and
after runout, ARIN can not help).  For that unlikely
event, I might instead propose that after run-out
ARIN holds in "reserve" a small amount of space
to provide some amount of "relief" in the case of
a decision gone bad (which seems unlikely, given
my (admittedly limited) understanding of the care
and due diligence that ARIN takes to get such
decisions right).

The only reason I would rethink my position is if
ARIN has documented cases where revocation
or reclamation has gone "bad" and an extended
hold period would have assisted in the resolution.

Gary