[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematics for IPv4 that shows the long term impossibility of it

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Fri May 13 00:27:18 EDT 2011

On 5/12/2011 4:44 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On May 12, 2011, at 3:46 PM, William Herrin wrote:
>
>> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt<tedm at ipinc.net>  wrote:
>>> So how exactly do we get the other 4.5 billion people on the Internet
>>> using IPv4?
>>
>> Survey says: NAT.
>>
> That does not put the other 4.5 billion people on the internet.

I think he was making a joke, Owen.  Meaning that the "average person"
if they are told a little bit about IPv4 runout they think "NAT can
handle it"

> That might put
> the other 4.5 billion people onto a carefully controlled subset of the internet.
> I do not advocate inflicting this damage on what would become the vast
> majority of internet users. Rather, I think it is vastly better to deploy them
> with IPv6 and let the rest of the internet catch up.

You cannot grow the Internet to be 3 times larger than it is now
on RFC1918 numbers.  The problem is the average person thinks of an
IP address like a telephone number.  They see the phone companies
throw phone numbers around willy nilly.  They don't understand that
the two systems are completely different.

>>> But, don't let something like mathematics bog your day down!
>>
>> Or technology either it would seem.
>>
> One man's "technology" is another man's nightmare.

I think he meant that from a technological standpoint the proposition
is impossible.

Ted