[arin-ppml] Just a reminder of some quick mathematics for IPv4 that shows the long term impossibility of it

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 19:44:01 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 3:46 PM, William Herrin wrote:

> On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 4:23 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm at ipinc.net> wrote:
>> So how exactly do we get the other 4.5 billion people on the Internet
>> using IPv4?
>
> Survey says: NAT.

That does not put the other 4.5 billion people on the internet. That might put
the other 4.5 billion people onto a carefully controlled subset of the internet.
I do not advocate inflicting this damage on what would become the vast
majority of internet users. Rather, I think it is vastly better to deploy them
with IPv6 and let the rest of the internet catch up.

>> But, don't let something like mathematics bog your day down!
>
> Or technology either it would seem.

One man's "technology" is another man's nightmare.

Owen