[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu May 12 19:37:38 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 3:05 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

>>> As far as what you term a non-operator speculator, you see the risk of gaming the needs analysis.
>>> The same risks lead to not-notifying ARIN and continuing to use the addresses under the purchaser's name, leaving Whois in more disarray.
>
>> That is a potential risk that some will take, whereas others may
>> decide to avoid doing speculation in this particular market.
>
> Yup, they can ignore ARIN, game ARIN, or not speculate under current needs-based policy for transfers.
>
>> One other point regarding transfers from a party with actual need -
>> the risks may increase depending on any policy constraints on the
>> supplier of the IP addressees (e.g. if you qualify based on need,
>> but the party you're getting them from does not have that amount
>> of space in contiguous blocks that match policy constraints, or if
>> you are seeking a small number of addresses which is less than any
>> minimum size requirement, etc.)
>> /John
>
> John, I'm not really clear on what you mean here.
> I always assumed there was a buyer and a seller first, then an ARIN needs assessment later.

Nope... The recipient can approach ARIN and get their need prequalified prior to seeking
a supplier.

> I figured the buyer and seller would reach agreement on what amount is being transferred, and then they would ask ARIN to bless the deal.

That's only one possibility, and, the possibility that carries the greatest risk for both parties.

> I know that you have been pleading for some advance consideration of transfer policy as deals are being formulated.
> So I think it's worth asking for clarification of the last paragraph.

Indeed, if people seek ARIN approval for their need/amount early, then, it is far more likely
they will be able to structure a deal which ARIN can easily approve.

Owen