[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 12 15:39:42 EDT 2011

Hi John,

>> I support needs requirements for free pool allocations, even if they are
>> less efficient than the market.

>Good to know.  Can you elaborate why the (presumed) inferior
>efficiency of needs-based allocations is acceptable in this
>case, but it is not acceptable as a requirement for the transfer
>market?

I think a needs-based system was required for free-pool allocations because
there had to be some constraint in the distribution of scarce resources for
free.
When scarce resources are allocated without a price constraint, we have the
Tragedy of the Commons.

Since presumably even a child could understand that some constraint had to
be placed on their allocation to prevent somebody from simply taking them
all, the question became what type of constraint should be employed that
would be consistent with prudential stewardship of  finite Internet
resources.

I think the decision to dole them out to those who could demonstrate a need
for them was reasonable and laudable.

Once they have all been thus doled out, however, and the era of monetized
transfers begin, I rely on the forces of the market to put valuable
resources to productive use, generally.

(I am not really arguing efficiency in my proposal, though, I am arguing for
reduction in transactional burdens which can lead to under-registration of
transfers of address rights.)
It could be that the needs requirements for the distribution of the final
free pool addresses will more efficiently distribute them than the market
will at this point in time.

Regards,
Mike