[arin-ppml] IPv4 Transfer Policy Change to Keep Whois Accurate

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu May 12 15:27:30 EDT 2011

On May 12, 2011, at 12:11 PM, Mike Burns wrote:

> Does ARIN get to keep the money for auctioned addresses?
> I actually considered that this might be a good use for some last segment of the final /8!
> As long as the funds were used by ARIN to beef up its legal staff in the effort to increase ARIN's title services.
> I think ARIN is going to be tasked with making some dicey decisions in the future related to conflicting claims for control of netblocks.
> It might be a good idea to increase the size of the legal war chest.
> I am not seriously proposing this, please no flames.

While I believe we have adequate legal reserves, I'm certain
ARIN's legal folks appreciate the thought... :-)

> I support needs requirements for free pool allocations, even if they are less efficient than the market.

Good to know.  Can you elaborate why the (presumed) inferior
efficiency of needs-based allocations is acceptable in this
case, but it is not acceptable as a requirement for the transfer
market?

Thanks!
/John

John Curran