[arin-ppml] Draft Proposal for Needs-Free IPv4 Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 11 13:31:35 EDT 2011

On May 11, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> On May 11, 2011, at 6:49 AM, John Curran wrote:
>> Agreed - the community should definitely make their intention known
>> on whether ARIN should consider the utilization of resources after
>> assignment or allocation.  We obviously have to consider such when
>> processing a request for additional resources, but should it matter
>> otherwise?
>>
> I believe that in the discussions and the authorship of section 12, that
> was the clear intent of the community. Section 12 is a no-op otherwise.

That would be correct (i.e. a decision to cease considering utilization
would preempt section 12 for most purposes, aside from fraud-related use)
I do not know if this would be good, or bad, but if the community's views
have changed at this point, then policy clarity as to how/when/if ARIN
should consider utilization would be very helpful.

At present, actual practice on resource reviews has focused predominately
on requests for new resources and fraud, but today there is certainly the
capability to perform reviews of the utilization for any resource.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO