[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-148 LRSA resources must not be transferred to LRSA

Stephen Sprunk stephen at sprunk.org
Wed May 11 13:16:50 EDT 2011

On 11-May-11 11:39, Martin Millnert wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Jimmy Hess <mysidia at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I suggest  something more like:
>>
>> The recipient of transferred number resources must sign a standard
>> Registration Services Agreement made public by ARIN,  that ensures ARIN retains the right to charge fees and revoke resources as needed, to enforce number resource policies, or reclaim underutilized resources.
> I'm admittedly not very experienced in ARIN procedures, so if you would please help me out here:
> How does this motivate sellers of legacy space to involve ARIN in their transactions?

A transferee is very interested in involving ARIN because they want to
make sure the registration database will get updated; if ARIN refuses to
record the transfer because it doesn't comply with policy, there is no
reason to pay because they have received nothing of value.  Therefore, a
transferor must involve ARIN because they need to validate that the
transfer will be recorded before they can get their money.

Remember, numbers are not property and cannot be sold; what is being
"sold" is a slot in ARIN's database.  If you don't care about ARIN's
database, just use whatever numbers you want without paying anyone!

> My understanding of the term "legacy space" is that it was assigned to users prior to ARIN's (or others) existence, and that you can't assume there is contracts in place where the legacy space holder in effect converts their space to ARIN managed space (which in practical terms means the space isn't "legacy space" per my definition).

All resources issued prior to ARIN's formation are legacy, regardless of
whether they are currently covered by an (L)RSA.  However, that's a moot
point because the policy doesn't really affect to the transferor; it
only applies to the transferee, who will be forced to sign some sort of
contract for services rendered.

Note that, while there is no legacy IPv6, there /are/ legacy ASNs, not
just IPv4 space; that's why we use the generic term "resources".  (I'm
not aware of anyone wanting to "buy" a legacy ASN, but in theory it
could happen.)