[arin-ppml] An aside in reference to Microsoft

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Tue May 10 10:23:35 EDT 2011

I see today Microsoft is announcing an acquisition of Skype.

I have read recently that Skype will be adversely affected by the advent of Carrier Grade NAT, and will require their own servers when CGN is deployed.
http://blog.caida.org/best_available_data/2011/05/03/exhausted-ipv4-address-architectures/

Possibly Microsoft acquired the Nortel addresses because they see a CGN future that will not be disastrous for Skype, as long as IPv4 addresses were available for Skype supernodes.

Food for thought when we consider the impact and duration of the IPv4 transfer market.

-Mike