[arin-ppml] transfer conditions

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Sat May 7 20:20:30 EDT 2011

On May 7, 2011, at 5:34 PM, Jimmy Hess wrote:

> On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:25 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>> On May 7, 2011, at 1:40 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> If the goal is prevent excessive deaggregation, perhaps a simpler
>> constraint could be easier to enforce and still provide much of
>> the benefit?  For example, an absolute minimum block size of /24
>> for transfers wouldn't discourage reutilization of address space,
>
> Perhaps it's not necessary.  Are holders of IPs going to seek to transfer
> longer prefixes  than /24;  knowing full and well,  many providers are
> going to filter/discard any announcements for /25 and longer prefixes?

Many of holders of IP addresses (as well as those who will be attempting
to broker same) have no idea about provider routing or filtering, and if
they can find parties willing to accept /30's, then they will break down
blocks accordingly in the absence of clear guidance to the contrary.

My only point is that to the extent that the policies are straightforward,
the more easily they are propagated and the higher probably of them being
followed in advance.  Simplicity is highly desirable because we're going
to see lots of address holders who have not ever interacted with the IP
registry system have to do so for their first time, and there is a big
difference in readability between "Transfers must be of block size N or
larger" versus the "Transfers shall only be of a block size which is that
which would have been approved for RIR issuance per the minimum block
sizes as listed in address allocation policies NRPM 4.2.1, 4.3.2, or 4.9"

ARIN will implement whatever policies the community develops, but it
should be noted that the transfer policy is likely to be referenced
by thousands of parties who up to this point have been unaware of the
workings of ISP routing (and potentially unaware of the Internet number
registry system for that matter)  It would be good to keep this in mind
when considering transfer policy proposals.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO