[arin-ppml] transfer conditions

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Sat May 7 17:34:31 EDT 2011

On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 8:25 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 7, 2011, at 1:40 AM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> If the goal is prevent excessive deaggregation, perhaps a simpler
> constraint could be easier to enforce and still provide much of
> the benefit?  For example, an absolute minimum block size of /24
> for transfers wouldn't discourage reutilization of address space,

Perhaps it's not necessary.  Are holders of IPs going to seek to transfer
longer prefixes  than /24;  knowing full and well,  many providers are
going to filter/discard any announcements for /25 and longer prefixes?

I would suggest transfer makers and recipients give a warning
"Transferred IP address blocks may have reduced routability."

In addition, the status of a 8.3 transferred block should be indicated in WHOIS
as  Transferred;  and WHOIS should clearly show what the original block was.

To indicate very clearly;  if you transfer out a /24 out of a block from which
only /22s were allocated;   your prefix might not be propagated,  because
your prefix is longer than the minimum allocation for that block.

--
-JH