[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Jeffrey Lyon jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net
Fri May 6 11:11:15 EDT 2011

On Fri, May 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> On May 6, 2011, at 10:51 AM, Jeffrey Lyon wrote:

>>> To the extent that any of the those parties need resources, that's
>>> provided by having a specified transfer policy (which is already
>>> present in the ARIN region).  Can you better characterize how they
>>> will be "hurt" by present policies?
>>
>> John,
>>
>> I was referring to the current limitations of 12 month supply,
>> justified need, and so forth.
>
> You note the limitations, but I am still trying to understand out how these
> constraints would "hurt" someone who needs IPv4 address space.  I see how
> they may pose an administrative burden, but there will be some additional
> administrative burden in going to the market to obtain IPv4 space in any
> case.  Are you saying that this additional administrative hassle is the
> "harm" that late adopters will experience, or something more than that?
>
> Thanks,
> /John
>
> John Curran
> President and CEO
> ARIN

John,

Administrative burden is one element. I also presume there are an
abundance of companies who are a) very profitable and b) require
significant amounts of IPv4 space to remain profitable. They could
easily buy this space from those with lesser need, if permitted.
Instead, the community is saying "stop, don't do that, put your
operations on hold for a while until your vendors figure out how to
support IPv6."

STLS is a step in the right direction and making this program less
restrictive is even better. Ideally, if I have a /20 now and decide I
need a /18 to satisfy all future need prior to completing a full
migration to IPv6, and I have the cash to do it, then it should be
allowed.

--
Jeffrey Lyon, Leadership Team
jeffrey.lyon at blacklotus.net | http://www.blacklotus.net