[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

George Herbert george.herbert at gmail.com
Thu May 5 19:52:20 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 4:45 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> On May 5, 2011, at 4:23 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2011 4:08 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>>
>>> The problem is that elevating speculation to the same level as
>>> extrapolation of past performance in the evaluation of needs
>>> basis strikes me not as a level playing field, but, rather tilting the
>>> game in the opposite direction.
>>
>> Only if you don't think ARIN staff has experience evaluating requests for demonstration of need. Apparently I have more faith in ARIN staff than you do.
>>
> ARIN is quite good at that. However, one of the most important components of that evaluation
> is the past track record. The 3 month limit applies for exactly that reason to organizations that
> do not have a track record.

You're implicitly equating two very different statements -

"Organizations that do not have a track record (at all)"

vs

"Organizations that do not have a track record (with ARIN)"

There are many ways to demonstrate prior use history and good
stewardship of IP space that was not directly ARIN allocated that
COULD be considered by ARIN in an allocation request, for someone
who's new to the ARIN game but has been in existence long enough.

The current policy replaces COULD with NOT.  Fundamentally I think
COULD is a better (fairer to new entrants, at this time, under final
/8 conditions, not an automatic open gate for speculation beyond
current policy root goals etc).

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert at gmail.com