[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu May 5 16:30:48 EDT 2011

>And in times of serious shortage government resorted to "needs based"
>distribution of petrol and other resources (coffee, sugar, wood).  There
>have been times where people got gasoline vouchers or chits that they
> >could use to purchase a rationed amount of gasoline.  The average family
>guy got so many, a furniture store got more, and a farmer got even more.

>This would suggest to me that when there is an actual shortage even our
>venerable US government saw the need of "needs based" distribution rather
>than just making resources available to the wealthy.

>Mc Tim

When exhaust happens, even if you have need,  you are going to have to pay
the price required for somebody to sell to you instead of to another person
with need, according to current policy.
Attested need will only be the price of entry to the "ARIN auction".
It won't change the fact that you will have to outbid all the other needers.
Unless you are proposing that ARIN go to a policy like at APNIC where the
remains of the free pool are rationed, and you can only get a certain
maximum amount.

Regards,

Mike