[arin-ppml] Serious question for the list.

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu May 5 13:17:15 EDT 2011

On 5/5/11 11:49 CDT, Mike Burns wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have had an idea.
> Since it has been determined that everybody in the ARIN community with
> an email address may participate in policy development, how does the
> list feel about soliciting the input from a broader group of participants?

While not an absolute requirement, I believe there is an understanding
that some minimal  level of technical expertise and interest in the
details of the subject matter are necessary in order to provide useful
or meaningful contribution to the process.

> Suppose I posted to a site like Reason magazine, which is Libertarian,
> inviting people to join the ARIN ppml in order to support my proposal to
> end needs requirements for IPv4 transfers?
> And those who oppose could post to HuffPo or some other site where
> opposing views might be expected to be courted.
> Is this a horrible idea?
> I have not acted on it, there could be large implications.
> What are your thoughts?

If you honestly believe it will bring useful or meaningful contributions
to the debate then sure, go ahead.  But, if it is simply being done to
overload the process, that will become obvious and it will not provide
the intended results.  If you bog-down the process, your ability to
effect the meaningful changes you would like to see will be hampered as
much as anything else.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952