[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed May 4 17:13:27 EDT 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 1:23 PM, John Curran wrote:

> On May 4, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>> So you are saying that some group of (potentially non-existent as yet) companies that will
>> be run by people who are not yet adults could be disadvantaged in the IPv4 world by the
>> policies we are adopting
>
> Despite ARIN's significant efforts in outreach, it is remains quite
> likely that tens of thousands of present address holders (both legacy
> and ARIN-issued) do not realize today they now have the option of
> transferring their address resources in accordance with established
> policy, and similarly numerous businesses will be formed in the coming
> years that may not think about "IPv4 Addresses" in their initial
> planning activities.
>
> Transfer requests submitted by these organizations in the future will
> be subject to the policies being developed by this community in this
> discussion today, and I believe that Matthew's point is we should
> recognize that these policies will have an effect on tens of thousands
> of organizations that do not know that that this discussion is occurring
> today with potential impact their plans.  To the extent that we can
> minimize impact for those not in the discussion (and manage to still
> keep the Internet running in the process), it's indeed a major win.
>
> I am not speaking in favor or opposition to any policy changes, but
> highlighting the importance of the fully considering changes to the
> transfer policy as it may be heavily utilized in the coming years.

I'm all for considering that, so long as we don't do so to the exclusion
of the justified needs of those companies that have immediate and
documented need today.

My point is that taking into account some arbitrary speculative number
of organization's theoretical future needs is difficult at best and should
not override what we know about real organizations with real and
present need today.

Owen