[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed May 4 16:23:59 EDT 2011

On May 4, 2011, at 3:19 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> So you are saying that some group of (potentially non-existent as yet) companies that will
> be run by people who are not yet adults could be disadvantaged in the IPv4 world by the
> policies we are adopting

Despite ARIN's significant efforts in outreach, it is remains quite
likely that tens of thousands of present address holders (both legacy
and ARIN-issued) do not realize today they now have the option of
transferring their address resources in accordance with established
policy, and similarly numerous businesses will be formed in the coming
years that may not think about "IPv4 Addresses" in their initial
planning activities.

Transfer requests submitted by these organizations in the future will
be subject to the policies being developed by this community in this
discussion today, and I believe that Matthew's point is we should
recognize that these policies will have an effect on tens of thousands
of organizations that do not know that that this discussion is occurring
today with potential impact their plans.  To the extent that we can
minimize impact for those not in the discussion (and manage to still
keep the Internet running in the process), it's indeed a major win.

I am not speaking in favor or opposition to any policy changes, but
highlighting the importance of the fully considering changes to the
transfer policy as it may be heavily utilized in the coming years.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO