[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue May 3 23:03:42 EDT 2011

On 5/3/11 17:49 CDT, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
> On 5/3/2011 3:42 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:
>>
>> Sure... back when there was a free pool, making them jump through the
>> extra hoops every 3 months to show that they're doing the right thing
>> makes (some) sense... but once there isn't, every time they get space
>> might be their last.
>
> Oh, and since the "ARIN Community" is mostly made up of the "haves" and
> has almost no representation (if any) from the "have nots" I have no
> expectation that there will be widespread support for fixing transfer
> policies for the "have nots".
>
> Not the only organization I'm involved with right now that suffers from
> this policy-making flaw, I might add.

You can count at least one Internet have as supporting this proposal, I
know a few more that probably will to, it is just the kind of people we
are and organizations we represent. :)

However, while I support the concept of the proposal, I would like some
thought given to how you verify a 12 month, or 24 month if this and 147
go forward, projection for an organization that has no history to back
up the projection with.  You probably need to replace the current slow
start with some kind of concept, if we are going to call it a needs
basis with a straight face.

How about something like this, currently we are willing to allow a /20
on a 3 month basis, what if we allowed a /18 on a 12 month basis.  It
relaxes the restrictions on a new entrants, without throwing them
completely out.  I suppose you could go to a /16 on a 24 month basis,
but I'm not sure I'm willing to go quite that far.

I kind of like the idea of changing slow start for new entrants in this
proposal to a /18 over 12 months and changing Subscriber Members After
One Year to a 24 month supply in PP147.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952