[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue May 3 13:20:30 EDT 2011

On May 2, 2011, at 9:24 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

> On 5/2/2011 8:47 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
>>
>> Welcome to the post-run-out world. Why should we let you acquire more space now and deny that
>> space to someone else who has justified need now?
>
> And why, exactly do we have a rule now that you can only get 3 months of space for initial allocations? Everyone who isn't an initial allocation *can* get 12 months via the transfer market... what makes them special or any more deserving of the fruits of a transfer market?

Because initial recipients (and those without a 12 month track record in ARIN as yet) tend to vastly
overestimate their need and often end up using well under the amount for which they express
initial justification. The three month rule has proven over time to be a good balance allowing
frequent re-evaluation of their progress and building a trend line that staff can use for subsequent
allocations.

This is not a new rule and not a rule which was related to imminent runout. It has been on the
books for a very long time.

> What I think will happen is that anyone with enough money to afford 12 months of address space can afford to do something to work around this rule... possibly failing to update the whois database in the process.

I'm sure that's a distinct possibility. Hopefully ARIN will become better at identifying, reclaiming,
and re-issuing addresses which are transferred outside of the ARIN process.

Owen