[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Tue May 3 01:15:18 EDT 2011

On 5/2/11 22:47 CDT, Owen DeLong wrote:

> On May 2, 2011, at 8:25 PM, Matthew Kaufman wrote:

>>> I'm not seeing the problem. You wouldn't have gotten the space from ARIN before runout, I don't see why you
>>> should get it now from a transfer.
>>
>> Because post-runout is a different world. Pre-runout I get 3 months of space, I use it, I go back to ARIN, I get 3 more months, I use it, I go back to ARIN and this time I get a whole year.
>>
> And you can do that with the market as well.

Owen,

The availability of space in 3-months could be completely different at
that time then now, in a market-like situation for address space why
should a new ISP not be able to compete on equal footing with an
established ISP.  I don't buy the nothing should change argument, there
are a number of issues we probably should reconsider when you have to
compete in a market-like situation for addresses as opposed to having an
IANA free pool.

I'm not convinced that we should abandon a needs basis, but we do need
to reevaluate things and make sure the needs basis we had when there was
an IANA free pool is still valid when you are competing in a market-like
situation for addresses.

I think it is reasonable to reconsider slow-start and other rules for
new ISPs in a world where there isn't an IANA free pool.  Furthermore,
I'm worried that if we are not willing to discuss adjusting a few
reasonable things it only strengthens the calls for completely
abandoning a needs basis.

If we are not going to let new ISPs compete on an equal footing then
maybe we need an additional reservation for them to provide them with
addresses until they can compete on an equal footing.  However, at this
point I think it is just easier to relax slow-start and other requirements.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952