[arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

John Sweeting john.sweeting at gmail.com
Tue May 3 12:48:36 EDT 2011


It really is as easy as rounding up all the support you can muster, have
that support join PPML, submit the proposal that you would like see made
policy and then have your support show their support through PPML and the
next PPM. Is there a reason you do not want to follow that process? It might
help gain support if you provided your underlying motivation(s).

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 8:43 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com> wrote:

> No, I want the question of whether to allow competitive non-regional
> registries to be decided by an entity other than one composed of
> non-competitive regional registries who currently enjoy a monopoly on
> registration services.
>
> There is a conflict of interest there. Let the venue be moved to a higher
> level.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Owen DeLong" <owen at delong.com>
>
> To: "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com>
> Cc: "McTim" <dogwallah at gmail.com>; <arin-ppml at arin.net>
> Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 6:28 PM
> Subject: Re: [arin-ppml] Fw: Accusation of fundamental conflict
> ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN
>
>
>
> So your argument boils down to:
>
> I don't like who the communities elected, so, I want to shop for a
> different forum?
>
> Owen
>
> On May 2, 2011, at 1:13 PM, Mike Burns wrote:
>
>  Hi Tim,
>>
>> Just read the names of the committe members.
>> Enough said.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mike
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "McTim" <dogwallah at gmail.com>
>> To: "Mike Burns" <mike at nationwideinc.com>
>> Cc: <arin-ppml at arin.net>
>> Sent: Monday, May 02, 2011 4:06 PM
>> Subject: Re: Fw: [arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict
>> ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN
>>
>>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:48 PM, Mike Burns <mike at nationwideinc.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Can you be more specific? The ICANN ASO? the ICANN BoT? the IANA?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> Keep going, all the organizations above are suspect due to the fact that
>>> they are all comprised of the same basic group of RIR designees.
>>>
>>
>> The RIRs do not "designate" or appoint anyone to any of the above
>> bodies.  The ASO AC members are elected by their respective RIR
>> communities.  Those ASO AC members do have a role to play in choosing
>> 2 (IIRC) of the ICANN Board.  Neither the RIRs nor the ASO get to
>> choose IANA staff.
>>
>>
>>> I would take it to NTIA like DNS.
>>>
>>
>> I think you overestimate the role of the NTIA in the DNS.
>>
>>
>>> And I would use DNS as a template for the creation of the global policy
>>> restrictions John Curran asked about, which restrictions would apply to
>>> all
>>> registries, regional or commercial.
>>> Just as all DNS registrars must meet certain qualifications, so would
>>> private registries of number space.
>>>
>>> Let the NTIA hear arguments from the proposer and from the ASO, the ICANN
>>> BoT, and IANA, although I suspect they will all sound the same.
>>>
>>
>>
>> Back in the 1990's, the idea was for the USG to divest itself (via
>> ICANN) of the naming and numbering roles.  That process is still
>> ongoing, and one can see a certain acceleration of divestiture in
>> recent years.  The Affirmation of Commitments is, I think, an example
>> of this.
>>
>> As DF has indicated, this (asking the NTIA to make this kind of
>> determination) would be a real non-starter for the global Internet
>> Governance community.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>>
>> McTim
>> "A name indicates what we seek. An address indicates where it is. A
>> route indicates how we get there." Jon Postel
>> _______________________________________________
>> PPML
>> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> http://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20110503/e787fb8b/attachment.html>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list