[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-146 Clarify Justified Need for Transfers

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue May 3 00:46:55 EDT 2011

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 11:22 PM, Matthew Kaufman <matthew at matthew.at> wrote:
> On 5/2/2011 8:47 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:
> Because I can afford it and have taken the time to find a seller.
> Or were you planning on enacting price controls on the market as well?
> Matthew Kaufman

8.3 is not about creating a transfer market. Whether the specified transfer
is made for free, or in exchange for some type of payment, is up to transferor
and transferee, and is probably kept secret.

There's really nothing to stop you from agreeing to transfer a 5 year
supply of resources, by completing two sales agreements;  or one
"master agreement"  for the huge chunk of address space bought,
with smaller agreements to be executed at later dates in a structured
manner  for the buyer to take delivery of chunks of addresses, in
portions (of the total bought) of their choosing.

And delaying the date that you take delivery of IP addresses beyond
what you can justify.

At the risk that RIR transfer policies might change in the interim; or
your 5 year supply of purchased resources might become much less
expensive by the time you need them.

The 8.3 policy says you can only receive a 12-month supply by
specified transfer.

It doesn't say anything about addresses you have already bought, or have
agreed to buy, but have opted not to receive yet  for use on your network.

8.2 doesn't have any stipulation against a buyer entering a contract
with a seller
to "reserve a 10-year supply";   and every 6 months  deliver to the buyer a
portion of the sold  (but undelivered) addresses,  that the buyer will specify,
under some sort of structure disbursal

structured disbursal to ensure adequate supply.

--
-JH