[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddresspolicy pitched directly to ICANN

Ray Hunter v6ops at globis.net
Mon May 2 15:53:16 EDT 2011

Once again I declare my neutrality. I'm neither pro nor anti Microsoft,
Nortel, Addrex, or anyone else mentioned in the discussion.

I am aware of that transaction from press reports. As I understand it,
Microsoft bought a defunct portion of a company in Chapter 11 bankruptcy
in order to obtain access to a chunk of legacy space.

According to press reports, 80 parties were contacted by Addrex and
Nortel. Were major Asian providers like China Mobile China Telecom, and
Bharti Airtel// on that contact list? I don't know.

But just because two companies like Microsoft and Addrex do something
once in the US (and potentially "get away with it") certainly does not
IMVHO set a precedent for global policy on how to run the Internet, nor
establish a market value for an IPv4 address.

In fact one could very succinctly argue that precisely this example
could/should trigger the ARIN / ICANN community to now officially adopt
a tighter /explicit policy like example #7 I mentioned.

7) Ask ARIN to prevent any and all transfers that are motivated purely
by financial gain, and instead insist that such participants return IPv4
allocations to the unallocated pool "for the benefit of the Internet
Community" once the existing allocation is no longer needed.

The ARIN community directs how ARIN operates. Microsoft are also members
of the ARIN community.

The Internet is far bigger than the US. As others have warned, there's
potentially a huge risk of organizations like the ITU and the WTO
getting involved in a major trade dispute. I doubt if anyone would look
forward to that conflict, or that (m)any in the Internet community would
indeed benefit.

regards,
RayH