[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict ofinterest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Mon May 2 15:33:43 EDT 2011

>But what is it about ARIN that is broken? What exactly do you think needs
>to be fixed?

>The only thing I've gotten out of the discussions so far is that some
>people think there is money to be made by providing IPv4 addresses based on
>willingness and ability to pay rather than ARIN's current >demonstrated
>need policies.

>Why is it to my benefit if someone else makes money? Particularly if it
>perturbs the current mechanisms in a way that costs me money?

>Keith Hare

Hi Keith,

What is broken about ARIN is that scandalously large numbers of netblocks do
not have valid POCs, for example. The stewardship of Whois leaves a lot to
be desired.
Competitive pressures would help to finally decide who controls these
addresses and allow them to be transferred to those who would pay for them.
Network operators don't really have much of a choice in accessing Whois
information to determine the rights to advertise addresses, and competive
registries.
In my experience they rely on attestation and review of proferred
chain-of-custody docs when determining who can advertise which addresses,
when confronted with inconsistencies with whois.
A competitive registry with a title insurance component will give network
operators more security when deciding questionable cases.

What is broken about ARIN is that their transfer policies are more
restrictive than APNICs, and that will cause a flow of addresses out of ARIN
and into APNIC.
A competitive registry could presumably have a different transfer policy, as
APNICs differs from ARINs.

What is broken about ARIN is that ARIN has professed no statutory control
over legacy addresses in the Plzak declaration in the Kremen case, and yet
attempts to control the registration of legacy resources.
With a private registry, the address rights holders can choose to opt-out of
ARIN's dictats and choose their registry voluntarily.

I don't see how the creation of a private registry will perturb the current
mechanisms in a way that costs you money, could you share why you feel that
way?

Regards,

Mike Burns