[arin-ppml] Accusation of fundamental conflict of interest/IPaddress policy pitched directly to ICANN

Ray Hunter v6ops at globis.net
Mon May 2 13:19:24 EDT 2011

Anyone interested in some DECnet phase IV addresses?

They're pretty rare: Only 63 areas are available, each allowing 1023 nodes!

I also have 2^32 valid IPv4 addresses. [Just don't try routing them on
the Public Internet, but they'll work fine for your own use]

Maybe we should set up a new global registry?

Sound ludicrous?

The point being that globally unique IPv4 addresses will only have value
to a corporation whilst the majority of their target customers continue
to use them as on today's consensus-based Internet.

If all of your customers have migrated to IPv6, they're worthless

If the IPv4 Internet has fragmented, they're worthless.

Is it 100% clear to everyone who actually "owns" all of the current IPv4
address allocations today?

Also, the future of the Internet is clearly mobile. There are already
about as many mobile Internet users in China as there are people in the
US, if not more. Same story in India. Even in the US, there simply won't
be enough IPv4 addresses to cover a mass move to mobile devices no
matter how much you're prepared to pay for them.

So assuming that any semblance of an efficient market in globally unique
IPv4 numbers can be created now is IMHO highly questionable.

Your mileage may vary.

In any case, my personal preference would be to ask ARIN to at least
adopt a policy (for the remaining unallocated IPv4 addresses from the
ranges that it has been allocated by IANA) that works "in the best
interests of the Internet community" by rewarding a migration to IPv6
over anything attempting to further extend the useful life of IPv4,
because that is clearly a lost cause. To that end, I personally like the
APNIC last /8 policy that somewhat protects new entrants and allows them
to deploy at least some useful backwards compatible connectivity to the
IPv4 Internet e.g. via stateful NAT64. That existing APNIC last /8
policy could of course potentially be improved upon, taking into account
local ARIN regional drivers.

You may well yet see "registry shopping" by large organisations. So any
policy that ARIN adopts may well have knock on impact to other RIR's,
and thus may have to be reviewed at another level to ensure that this is
not detrimental to the functioning of the other RIR's, or the Internet
as a whole.

Just my 2c worth.