[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Chris Grundemann cgrundemann at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 14:29:43 EDT 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 21:54, Benson Schliesser <bensons at queuefull.net> wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2011, at 9:53 PM, Chris Grundemann wrote:
>>
>> All stakeholders are welcome to join these discussions and make
>> policy. Non-participation does not remove you from the community.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consent_of_the_governed

I'm familiar, but your point might be better made by being more
specific; the linked article allows a lot of room for speculation. I
could extrapolate from it that you are referring to tacit consent
which would mean that since the ARIN community is not currently in
revolt, we have collectively provided consent to ARIN. I could also
assume that you were referring to overt consent, by which I would
conclude that choosing to operate within the ARIN region using
resources managed by ARIN indicates consent of the community for the
current model. Or perhaps you were referring to hypothetical consent,
in that case we could look at the history of ARIN and see that in
general terms, this organization and structure was built from a state
of non-governance over time and thus it can be easily concluded that
we ought to consent, since it is the model we would (read: have)
choose in a vacuum. It is also possible that you are more interested
in the idea of unanimous consent, and in that scenario that you may be
calling for the right of succession...

On the other hand, it may not matter which specific idea you are
referring us to, since my response is the same in all cases: If folks
out there want to see change in ARIN policy, all they have to do is
come speak up - as you and I and every other member of the "active"
community has done and is now doing.

Cheers,
~Chris