[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - March 2011

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Mar 24 17:07:48 EDT 2011

On 3/23/2011 10:48 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 1:47 AM, Martin Hannigan<hannigan at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 11:40 PM, Scott Leibrand
>> <scottleibrand at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect there are some who think they can get higher prices
>>> transferring outside the ARIN process.  Time (and likely lawsuits)
>>> will tell if they're right.
>>
>> The new benchmark is $20 per address.
>

> Argh. Correction. It's $11, at least publicly.
>

>> http://www.totaltele.com/view.aspx?ID=463504&G=5&C=5&page=2

Can I be correct in assuming a few things:

The story said most of these numbers are ready to use.  That would
indicate Nortel had been violating the ARIN minimum utilization
requirements for years.  Since ARIN had not done an audit that
pulled these addresses from Nortel am I correct in assuming that
they had no legal ability to do so - ergo, this is a Legacy block?

If it is a legacy block am I also correct in assuming that once this
"sale" completes that ARIN is going to realize a spike in it's
income, as this block is now going to be subject to yearly registration
renewal fees?

If all of that is true then as these sales happen and more of these
legacy blocks come online, ARIN's income from fees will rise.

Since ARIN is obligated to not generate a profit can I assume that
the excess income will result in fee reductions for the rest of us?

After all when your friendly local government gets increased tax revenue
it reduces taxes, correct?

Or have I just been out in the sun too long ;-)

Ted