[arin-ppml] [arin-council] FW: lunch table topics

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Mar 23 02:18:50 EDT 2011

On Mar 22, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:

> On Mar 22, 2011, at 8:52 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:
>

>> On Mar 22, 2011, at 8:22 PM, Scott Leibrand wrote:
>>
>>> Agreed.  I think that part is actually handled quite well by the
>>> current LRSA process.  I think the gap that has been identified is
>>> allowing a legacy holder to demonstrate that they're the legitimate
>>> holder of the space while they're doing negotiations with potential
>>> buyers.  If there was some sort of pre-qualification they could do
>>> that accomplishes the same verification required for an LRSA, but
>>> doesn't commit the legacy holder to signing the LRSA if the transfer
>>> doesn't go through, I think we'll be able to reduce the perceived risk
>>> among a certain percentage of the legacy holders, and thereby increase
>>> the available supply of legacy space on the legitimate transfer
>>> market.
>>
>> I think that is best handled by having the transfer in escrow pending
>> LRSA completion which doesn't affect ARIN.
>>
>> The escrow is a process between the legacy holder and the recipient.
>>
>> I see no reason to have ARIN expend resources to the benefit of legacy
>> holders in this process without LRSA signature. If they want to avoid
>> the need for escrow, they can sign the LRSA.
>
> If I'm looking for someone to acquire space from, and find a legacy
> holder, I'd rather tell them "please show me your LRSA or ARIN
> pre-qualification as the legitimate holder, and I'll show you my
> pre-qualification to receive space" before we get to the point of
> having our lawyers go over our agreement.  Waiting until closing time
> to discover that they really aren't authorized to transfer the space
> (or I'm not authorized to receive it) is a big waste of effort.  It
> reduces everyone's risk to get the verification done up front, if
> you're gonna have to do it anyway (for this transaction or another
> one).

I completely agree. As such, legacy holders who have signed the LRSA
will be at an advantage in the market and probably be able to get higher
prices. I don't see a problem with that.

OTOH, if someone wants to sell their space, but, doesn't want to sign the
LRSA, then, they need to find a buyer that will work with them through
the process. Sure, this is slightly less convenient for the buyer if they can't
find an LRSA signatory. I don't see a problem with having this as a carrot
for legacy holders to sign the LRSA. I also don't see any reason to
eliminate that carrot from ARIN's toolbox.

> IMO if the upfront verification work justifies a $100 fee for the
> LRSA, then the prequalification should cost the same $100 to do the
> exact same verification work, and should be convertible into an LRSA
> with no additional fee.

I don't disagree, but, I don't see any advantage to ARIN in doing the
pre-qualification without it resulting in an LRSA. I see advantage to
the legacy holder (who if they are unwilling to sign an LRSA, frankly,
I'm not particularly interested in providing an advantage to). I see a
small potential advantage to the transferee (though I think they can
mitigate this in other ways).

> Now I wish we'd moved this discussion to PPML...

As you wish...

Owen