[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

Benson Schliesser bensons at queuefull.net
Tue Mar 15 20:57:49 EDT 2011

On Mar 13, 2011, at 2:37 PM, Matthew Petach wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM, ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>> ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation
>> mechanisms by the IANA
>
> As this policy does not in any way state what addresses must
> or must not be returned to IANA, it focuses only on ensuring
> that any addresses that are returned to IANA are given out in
> a fair and equitable manner, I find myself to be in SUPPORT
> of this proposal.

For the reason described above, I support this policy proposal.

However, something isn't clear (to me) from the policy text:  Does each RIR automatically receive an "IPv4 allocation unit" per allocation period, or must they first submit an outstanding request to IANA?

I imagine that the latter approach would be similar to historical policy, perhaps with a justification-of-needs requirement associated with it.

The former, automatic allocation approach would possibly result in allocation to RIRs without need.  But it may also have the most fairness, given different regional policies on such topics as address transfers / markets, return of addresses to IANA, etc.

Cheers,
-Benson