[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation mechanisms by the IANA

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Thu Mar 10 10:26:23 EST 2011

On 3/8/11 23:21 CST, George Herbert wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 11:46 AM, ARIN<info at arin.net>  wrote:
>> [...]
>> ARIN-prop-137 Global Policy for post exhaustion IPv4 allocation
>> mechanisms by the IANA
>>
>> Proposal Originator: Philip Smith
>>    co-authors: Alejandro Acosta, Nicolas Antoniello, S. Moonesamy,
>>         Douglas Onyango, Medel Ramirez, Masato Yamanishi
>

> Philip and others -
>
> Can you explain your rationale and reasoning behind this proposal?

I won't speak for the authors, but this proposed global policy is known
as APNIC-Prop-097 in the APNIC region and was discussed at the APNIC
meeting two weeks ago in Hong Kong, and on the APNIC sig-policy mailing
list.  APNIC-Prop-097 was the second policy presented in the 4th session
of APNIC's Policy SIG, on Thursday, Feb 24.  It was proceeded by the
presentation of APNIC-Prop-086 which is equilivant to ARIN-2010-10,
which is an alternate proposal for dealing with many of the same issues.
  Once both proposals were presented, then a joint discussion of the two
proposals followed.

A link to the transcript from the 4th Policy SIG session;
http://meetings.apnic.net/31/policy/transcript#session4

A link to the Audio from the 4th Policy SIG session;
http://podcast.apnic.net/meetings/31/policy-sig-sess4.mp3

A link to the Video from the 4th Policy SIG session;
http://streaming.apnic.net/meetings/31/policy-sig-sess4-hinted.mov

Further, the APNIC sig-policy mailing list archives can be found at;
http://mailman.apnic.net/mailing-lists/sig-policy/index.shtml

> Also, please address how a valid IANA policy would be appropriately
> created by an ARIN policy process... ?

As has been stated, Global Policies are how IANA policies are created
and all Global Policies must go through each of the five RIR policy
processes.

See the following for details;
http://www.nro.net/documents/global-policy-development-process

I hope that helps;

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE	    Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952