[arin-ppml] Draft Policy 2011-5: Shared Transition Space for IPv4 Address Extension - IAB comment

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jun 28 13:23:09 EDT 2011

On Jun 28, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Martin Hannigan wrote:
> I would think that either ARIN can move forward with the policy
> "as-is" or it can't. If it can't, there's no mechanism that I can see
> that allows a 'donation' of the address space to such an activity. I'm
> not disagreeing that this should move forward _in the IETF_, but
> shouldn't the IETF find the addresses for this from what's available,
> including striking a deal with the RIR's? Hence, my comment regarding
> "various registries" as the source of the addresses seemed like a
> reasonable candidate.

Martin -

In light of the existing support already expressed by the ARIN
community for this reservation, it is quite possible that the
ARIN Board could direct a /10 block by reserved for this purpose,
if the discussions appear to be making progress within the IETF
process.

The main point is to make sure that that we have rough consensus
within the greater community (i.e. both IETF and ARIN) so that
this reservation can proceed at all.  The mechanics do need to
be worked out, but there's quite a few ways for that to occur if
there is overall agreement on the outcome.

FYI,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO