[arin-ppml] ARIN Board consideration of IAB consultationresponse on 2011-5

Mike Burns mike at nationwideinc.com
Thu Jul 7 10:40:39 EDT 2011

> John,
>
> I want to thank you and the Board.  While i still support the intent of
> 2011-5, I think the Board is correct.
> David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu

+1

I think we are unfortunately bound to this decision by the MoU and should
not subject the idea of Internet self-governance to the stress of feuding
organizations at the level of IANA and IETF.
I'm sure the Board members feel the pressure from the community but made the
right decision.
I also have doubts about 154 for the same reason.
We engender discord with the IETF.
We engender discord with APNIC over their transfer policies.
We engender discord with all other registries when we consider regional
hoarding policies.
All under the rubric of stewardship, or our particular views of stewardship.
We are stewards not only of addresses and routing tables, but of a unique
governance system which requires tolerance and voluntary cooperation to
survive.

We could be sowing the seeds of escalating problems which could open the
door for government to claim the self governance model can not work in lean
times.

Mike Burns