[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-154 Shared Space for IPv4 Address Extension (w/IETF considerations) - Staff Comments

Jimmy Hess mysidia at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 23:25:43 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:21 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 00:54, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
>> I simply want to know how you can reserve a /10 specifically for the context
>> of 2011-5/pp-154 without letting the cat out of the bag.
> In practice, I just do not think you can keep that cat
> bagged over the time frame of IETF deliberations.

I in no way suggest trying to keep a 'cat in the bag';  ARIN should
indicate what /10
is chosen, and permit it for Experimental use.

Realistically: the notion of waiting on a full IETF deliberation to
complete is equivalent
to rejecting the idea of official address space being available for
use with a shared /10.

The time before shared address space would be needed is within 12 months.
The duration required for an IETF deliberation is measured in
multiples of years,
they only even have a meeting once a year, and such....

By the time the IETF deliberation could happen at earliest, within
about 3 years,
(hopefully),  IPv6 would be the predominant protocol, resulting in the
draft being
moot by that time.

--
-JH