[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-154 Shared Space for IPv4 Address Extension (w/IETF considerations) - Staff Comments

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Jul 5 21:14:24 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 8:54 PM, Joe Maimon <jmaimon at chl.com> wrote:
> Owen DeLong wrote:
>> I'm not sure where the risk you claim would come from if the reservation
>> is not published.
>
> I simply want to know how you can reserve a /10 specifically for the context
> of 2011-5/pp-154 without letting the cat out of the bag.

I think you intentionally let the cat out of the bag. I think you let
the reasonable and intelligent folks running ISPs weigh the risks of
using it prior to standardization against the costs of not doing so
and make their own choices. Better that they squat on the pre-standard
/10 than squat on, say, one of the DoD /8s. That also allows the folks
in the IETF to take their time and do a thorough job evaluating the
technical concerns instead of having to rush it out.

But that's just me.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004