[arin-ppml] ARIN-prop-131: Section 5.0 Legacy Addresses

cja@daydream.com packetgrrl at gmail.com
Sat Jan 29 18:59:25 EST 2011

Marty I have a question and a clarification.  Do you think this should apply
if someone returns non-legacy addresses?

Further I would think we should mention here that right now if a block
longer than a /8 is given back to any RIR, and that RIR returns it to the
iANA there is no policy in place that allows the IANA to distribute any
prefix longer than a /8.  The global policy for the IANA to give addresses
to the RIRs specifies only /8s.  So if an RIR returns a block to the IANA
that is longer than a /8 it will sit there unused because of the absence of
policy.   I just figured that folks on this list might want to clearly
understand the specific lack of policy here.

Thanks!
----Cathy